It has become pretty common to play a deadly game in Addis Ababa actually almost in the whole Ethiopia. Some of those are drinking and driving, unprotected sex with some one we never even met before and so on….But i am not talking about those issues today. My topic today is about something which also become one of the only options of fun we think we have in Addis Ababa. ”DRINKING ALCOHOL AND GETTING WASTED”
What does it do?
I think we all know that alcohol is a central nervous depressant which affects all body tissues and we still don’t mind having a sip or some more specially when we are at either on wedding parties or any parties we mostly have on weekends in Addis right?…:) Any ways, it’s not my intention now to write about that since it could be fun sometimes for some of us….ok my point is many people don’t recognize it when it gets out of hand and develop alcoholism and eventually showing unusual signs both physical and psychological which will cause losing life eventually.
By the way there are two obvious dependence to alcohol consumption. Ok so, one is Physical dependence and it is when there is a physical/biological need for alcohol to avoid physical withdrawal symptoms. The other one is when a person is psychological dependance which is expressed when a person is craving for the subjective effect of alcohol. Now that i said some things about alcohol…..
What are the risk factors of becoming an alcohol abuser?
- Biological predisposition
- Depression and highly anxious characterstics
- Low self-esteem
- Poor self-control
- History of rebelliousness, poor school performance, delinquency
- Poor parental relationships
What are some of the signs commonly seen in alcohol abusers?
- Missing work or school ( where ever he/she has duties)
- Drinking alone
- Increased tolerance to alcohol
- Arguments about drinking
- Careless physical appearance
- Creating/making excuses to drink
- Denial that a problem exists
- Decrease in self – esteem
- Blood alcohol levels of 0.1% which is 100mg alcohol per deciliter of blood or higher
We all know there are consequences to all the unhealthy things we do in general but what are the complications of alcohol abuse and what can it cause to our body? With chronic alcohol use one can end up having:-
- Hepatitis; cirrhosis of liver
- Brain damage
- Esophagitis and gastritis
- Vitamin deficiencies
- Immune system dysfunction
- Cardiac disorder and etc…
All of these things which could lead to – DEATH!! So let’s evaluate where we are today and take action accordingly right now!!